…there is no money in this industry, but it’s still true…and it’s a music, like, which comes from your heart, from your soul.
-Lady Waks, US Tour Documentary
We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
In certain circles, “hard house” has been overshadowed by the more commercial “EDM”, but to me this is the difference of a craft-made beer vs. Pabst Blue Ribbon. One could argue each has their place, but something is missing for me with EDM (and PBR for that matter).
The quote from Lady Waks (she may have been talking breaks, but she’s spot on), as well as the one from Kennedy sum it up. At this point, there’s no money in this, one has to really want to participate, both in creating and listening. The hardness no longer refers to the just the music itself, it is a struggle to keep the community alive. For an artist, the work has to be its own reward.
The mix is pretty diverse, spanning over 15 years of my own hard house production, mashed up in hard dance appropriate style with a few other tracks. This has been in the works for a long time – perfection was the goal but doing the work is more important.
This is hard on purpose. We do these things not because they are easy, but Because They are Hard.
- (0:00) Karl D – Mashup intro
- (0:51) Karl D – Pure NRG (Remix)
(1:52) Karl D – Rock the House
- (2:33) Karl D – 4_11 (Remix)
- (4:54) Karl D – Climbing to the Top vs. Brothers in Rhythm – Such a Good Feeling
- (7:34) Karl D – 3_01
- (10:08) Karl D – Unrefined Emotion (Remix)
- (13:32) Vengaboys – We Like to Party (Karl D Remix)
- (15:53) Karl D – At the Base of the Mountain (Remix) vs. Britney Spears – Til the World Ends
- (18:20) Heaven’s Cry – Til Tears Do us Part
- (21:07) Karl D – The Exchange (2018 Hard House Mix)