I thought I would do something a little out of the ordinary to close up the year. As you know, most of the content on this site comes from me and me alone, and I don’t “report” much on others’ work(maybe not quite as much as I should). I wanted to take some time to recognize some of my favorite tracks and mixes I’ve heard over the last year. Certainly many of these releases have influenced me and some of the work I’ve published.
Please enjoy this selection of mixes and tracks from these hardworking artists, and if possible, support them any way you can. These lists are in no particular order.
Top 5 Tracks:
- Florence and the Machine – Dog Days are Over(Breakage Mix) – There were several standout mixes for Florence and the Machine this year, but this one really did it for me.
- Gaslamp Killer – Anything Worse – Nice, diverse mix of styles on this tense production.
- BRIGHT PRIMATE – Oh Well – I’m proud to say that BRIGHT PRIMATE is the project of a good friend of mine, who has(along with his bandmate/girlfriend) revolutionized 8-bit music as a whole as well as making it incredibly relevant in Boston, MA. I really enjoyed this track from their latest EP for its excellent production values and entrancing vibe. I love the 2nd half of the song.
- Pretty Lights – Still Rockin’ – Pretty much any Pretty Lights could make this list. All their tracks have a great mix of glitch, hip hop, and electronica that never goes overboard – it’s always super-smooth.
- Pendulum – Watercolour(Deadmau5 mix) – I’m not afraid at all to say I’m a huge Deadmau5 and Pendulum fan! Since Deadmau5 and Rob from Pendulum worked together on “Ghosts n Stuff“, it’s great to see their working relationship continue and and put out this quality mix. I’m hoping to see more collaboration between these two big-shots soon.
Top 5 Mixes:
- XLR8R Podcast 170 – DJ Food & DK vs. Coldcut – Crazy, epic mix. This was released for Ninja Tune’s 20th anniversary and it does not disappoint. This is an incredibly eclectic mix that spans the whole 20 years of the label’s rich history.
- DJ Steve Hill – Masif Podcast 11 – Truthfully, I have a hard time picking a favorite one of Steve Hill’s podcasts. The King of Hard Dance showcases a lot of great material on this one, including Masif DJ’s – “Attention”, a track that certainly earned my attention this year. Lucky for you Steve’s got lots of material for download.
- Electronic Explorations 133 – Shackleton – You can hardly call this dubstep – more like super-chilled future dub. The first track, “Stripped III (version)” by Shackleton & Vengeance Tenfold, floored me.
- Elite Force – Revamped(Continuous Mix) - OK, so this list features one paid mix. Big deal! Elite Force has been releasing lots for free and also not for free in the “Revamped” collection, so a buck is not a huge price to pay for an awesome mix from his latest compilation. Also look for the”Smack The Force Up” revamp on his website. There’s also a remix of Benga’s “26 Basslines” floating around somewhere…
- Major Lazer and La Roux – Lazerproof – I’m pretty pleased with all the work Diplo’s done this year, but this mixtape was a shocker when it came out. Wild yet approachable, and contains several great La Roux remixes.